Sunday, December 14, 2008

Bush and the size 10 shoes

Today it's all over the news that on Bush's last public appearance in Iraq as President of the United States, he was met with a pair of shoes traveling at great speed in the direction of his head by an Iraqui journalist saying something like "this is a goodbye you dog". 

My first reaction was appalled. The President of any nation, no matter what his political views are, should be respected in public no matter what. But then I thought to myself... if this was Saddam Hussein standing there, wouldn't I wanna throw a shoe at him? Let's get more personal... what if it was Fidel Castro? I'm Cuban-Italian and my family left Cuba a long time ago when the revolution broke out. Now after everything he's done to the Cuban people, wouldn't I wanna throw a shoe at him? God, probably worse...  I would wanna practice a circus act that required daggers and use him as my blindfolded model standing in front of the bull's eye. Then, I think again and I say, NO, because "what is this world coming to" if we don't maintain a certain kind of appropriate behavior, as difficult as it might be considering our feelings toward the person in question, towards the leaders of our nations.

I gotta say though it was pretty fucking funny. I think dogging those shoes was the only move Bush has made that I've been impressed by.

I wonder what they're going to do with the guy? Click here to watch.

No comments: